Road accident statistics in India are dangerous. What are we teaching our kids? many be your head is made of steel.
This may sound like one of the least important issues but I thought it should be addressed. Making it short, just read it.
I clicked this photograph outside a school in the morning where parents (I am not sure whether the old man on scooter also came to drop a kid) and grandparents came to drop their kids. Interesting part is that only limited parents used helmets. Some of you are also among those.
May be you think, it’s not important. I am sure you must have your own good reasons behind it. May be your head is made of steel or maybe you are among the smartest riders on the road. May be your wear some other James Bond like devices to protect yourself? But do you know the stars.
If you are not among above mentioned categories then you must rethink because people learn from elders and if we set an example like this, tomorrow you should be ready to lose your kids in road accidents because you cannot reduce traffic on roads. You cannot teach rash drivers. But surely you can train your kids to wear helmets and other protective gears whenever they are riding two wheelers.
If you still don’t believe check out the stats in real numbers.
Road Accident Statics in India, Road accident death rate
When you talk about road accident death rate in India, numbers are disastrous.
- 98.6% of bikers who died didn’t wear a helmet as per times of India (Source: Times of India)
- Over 1, 37000 people were killed in road accidents in 2013 alone
- There is one death every 4 minutes in road accident
- In Bangalore 180 bikers killed without helmet between January 1, 2012 to May 2012.
- Bangalore city accounts for 800 accident deaths annually while nearly 4,000 people are injured every year with many of them left with permanent disabilities.
(Data Source: NDTV – Dec 12, 2016, Times of India July 2, 2015, June 24, 2016)